Thursday, September 2, 2010

Birthing the Baby

Well I have been wanting to do this post for a while and I am finally getting around to it. Where should I begin? I think I will tell this story counting how many times I was wrong. I'm really not wrong very often, but with this pregnancy I don't think I was ever right. I thought it would take a while for me to get pregnant with our third child: WRONG. I thought I was going to have a boy: WRONG. I thought I would have this baby in May: WRONG. I thought my water would break when I went into labor: WRONG. I thought our baby would be cute and adorable: finally, I got one RIGHT. She is so very very cute. Here is the proof. I just love her to pieces. Back to the story. When I was pregnant with Evan I decided I wanted a natural child birthing experience. The problem was I didn't decide that until I was 36 weeks along and so I was not prepared at all when I had him. I panicked at the last minute and ended up getting an epidural right before I realized it was time to push. I would say that the epidural was about 25% effective when he made his debut. I was so upset and disappointed with myself that I had caved and gotten the epidural. So this time I was determined not to get an epidural. My official due date this time was June 7th. I thought she would be about three weeks early like Audrey was, so around May 17th I starting waiting for my water to break. I was positive my water was going to break since it did with Audrey and Evan; WRONG yet again. I was afraid to go anywhere because I can't think of very many things more embarrassing than having your water break in public. At my 36 week appointment I was dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced, there was no way I was going to make it to my due date: WRONG. So for three weeks I tried every myth there is to induce labor, except for a really long walk since I didn't want my water to break while I was miles away from my home. I did hit the elliptical though several times. So for four weeks I waited and waited for my water to break and it never did. At each doctor appointment she would get my hopes up because I would be slightly more dilated and she said it felt like my water was wanting to break, yet nothing was happening. My last appointment was scheduled for my due date and I was given the option of scheduling an induction or waiting it out for one more week to see if I would go into labor. Reluctantly I scheduled an induction for the 9th since I was so sick of being pregnant and I didn't see the point in waiting a week to be induced. I went home and I cried, a lot. I did not want to be induced. That night around midnight I started having contractions every 10 minutes but they didn't hurt at all. I thought if I walked around our house a lot they might intensify and put me into labor. I walked around for about an hour and nothing more was happening so I decided to go to bed. I woke up around five with contractions that hurt. Finally, but they were only coming every 15 minutes. I didn't think I was in labor because the contractions were too far apart: WRONG. I decided to take a shower so I could relax and go back to sleep, but while I was in the shower they started coming every three minutes. At this point I started to panic and so I hurried to go wake up Colby. When I woke him up he said, "oh good your water finally broke." He was WRONG. I told him I was just having contractions every three minutes. We both hurried to get ready and he called my parents to have them meet us at the hospital so they could take Audrey and Evan to their house. He made the mistake of telling them we were getting ready to go rather than we were on our way. When we go to the hospital it was around 6:30 in the morning and I was sure my parents were going to be there already since they lived a lot closer to it than we do: WRONG, no parents. I was really annoyed because my contractions were so close together. We had to wait about 10 minutes before they got there. Finally we got into the hospital and all checked in. At 6:57 they finally checked me and I was only dilated to a 4. I thought this was going to be an 8 hour labor like Audrey's was: WRONG. Around 7:25 my contractions were really starting to hurt and I could feel a lot of pressure. The nurse checked me again and I was dilated to a 9 and about ready to go. They had to scramble to get everything out and call my doctor. Needless to say my doctor did not make it to the delivery. I am 0 for 3 on having my doctor deliver my babies. A few minutes later I told the nurse it was time for me to push. She told me to wait until the next contraction; I don't know how that is even possible. I said no I have to push and I did. With the first push my water broke and the baby's head was crowning. After a couple more pushes the head was out and she was stuck at her shoulders. I remember they kept telling me to keep pushing, but I couldn't because I wasn't having a contraction. She finally made it out at 7:41 a.m. and I felt so relieved. She was here and I didn't get an epidural. Now came the really hard part, deciding on a name. We didn't fill out the papers until right before we left the hospital. So here she is: Alivia Delyn.

5 comments:

Becki said...

2 things.

1- You know I'm a sucker for birth stories, so I, of course, loved this immensely.

2- I want/need to squish that baby very soon.

Kim said...

I am right there with you. I like to hear about birth stories as well.

Lynette said...

Isn't it fabulous how you can't predict labor (and delivery)?? :) :) And congrats on having this one natural. It's the worst pain the world but when it's over, ohhhh the relief!!! :) :) :)

And I like birth stories, too. I was hoping you would share what happened. :)

Jenalyn and Mike said...

She's adorable! And all natural...WOW! So, did you use any kind of techniques to make it through naturally, or are you just tough? :)

Shellie and Bryan said...

Great birth story! Thanks for sharing :)